Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stuffed Green Peppers: a faithful standby


This is one of the first things I learned how to make, and I have gone back and made this recipe a hundred times at least. Mom loves it too, in fact when peppers are on sale she'll buy a whole bunch and also pull out some frozen hamburger mix from the freezer and beg me to make them. She has to agree that mine are tons better than the yucky ones she made us eat growing up (sorry, Mom). And to answer the question in your head, no it's not really the kids' favorite. They will all eat the filling though, but they leave the peppers and what tomatoes they can pick out. I don't care though, Matt and I love them and hopefully someday the kids will, or else maybe my daughters will find a recipe that is better than this one, although I can't imagine it.


Better Homes and Gardens' Stuffed Green Peppers


4 large green peppers

1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef

2/3 cup chopped onion

1 can chopped tomatoes, undrained

1/2 cup basmati rice

2 T Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. dried basil or dried oregano

1 cup shredded cheese, cheddar or mozzerella or whatever you have


In a skillet cook meat and onion till meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in tomatoes, uncooked rice, W. sauce, basil, water, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or till rice is tender---you may have to add water.


While this is simmering prepare the peppers. Halve peppers lengthwise, removing stem ends, seeds, and membranes. Immerse peppers into boiling water for 3 minutes. Sprinkle insides with salt. Invert on paper towels to drain well.


Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese into the meat mixture. Fill peppers with meat miture. Place in 9X13 pan and bake at 375 for 15 minutes or til heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes.


Makes about 8 servings.


4 comments:

Arlene Heiner said...

Very Very Excited about this recipe Rach. My mother use to make stuffed peppers all the time and I haven't made them much because the kids never liked peppers. John and I would love them now. By the way, how do you get your kids to eat them? I am going to florida soon so after I get back I will add some recipes

Rachel said...

Hey Arlene, as I said, the kids don't eat this very well. If you remember though, my kids are generally good eaters but I think this is just not appealing to kids, either in appearance or smell or both. They will eat the filling OK, but let's just say they ate a LOT of fruit and cottage cheese last night. They know that if they don't like what I'm serving, they have to wait until breakfast the next morning. I'm no short-order cook :)

Melanie said...

I love peppers!!! I'm trying this one when I get home!

Jess said...

rachel you are rocking the recipes out! i need to get on it!