Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Saucy Meatballs


This recipe is from my Southern Living cookbook. What I thought was going to be a super lame dinner turned out very yummy! Now, I used my own pre-made frozen meatballs and it made it even easier, so if you want you can just skip the whole meatball-making thing altogether (who wants to shape cold raw beef into balls anyway?) and follow the recipe for the creamy sauce. Delicious comfort food.


1 lb groud beef

1/2 cup soft breadcrumbs

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup milk

2 T vegetable oil, plus a little leftover bacon grease (doesn't everyone save theirs? :)

3 T flour

1/4 tsp pepper

1 1/2 cups beef broth

1 8 oz carton sour cream

Hot cooked rice or noodles


Combine first 8 ingredients, mixing well; shape into 1 1/2 inch meatballs. Brown in hot oil in a large skillet. Drain; reserve drippings in skillet. Add flour and 1/2 tsp pepper to drippings; mix well. Gradually add broth, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cool. Add sour cream and meatballs; cook over meduim heat, stirring constantly, until heated. Serve over rice. Yeild: 4 servings.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Hooray, I have something to make for dinner tonight! I just got home from Utah and I don't have anything in my fridge. I do have a bag of frozen meatballs though! You saved me, thanks.

Jane said...

Rachel,
That looks good! Thanks to you for posting recipes, I need to get on the ball. My problem is I don't venture out with new recipes. I like the quick things I know I can count on. Deb

Sharp family said...

I will be making this, but you are right I will be using frozen meatballs! We will all be happier with that :)