Sunday, October 26, 2008

Marilyn's Breadsticks


I have loved these breadsticks for years. I got this recipe from my sister Marilyn who is famous for them in our family. I make these breadsticks and serve with chili every Halloween. If you don't make the dough too stiff they will remind you of the Magleby rolls if you dip them in butter then parsesan cheese.


2 1/2 cups warm water
2 T Yeast
1 T Sugar

Dissolve yeast in water, let sit and then add the following:

2 T Butter
1 T Salt
3 Cups Flour

Beat until smooth and add enough flour (3-4 cups) flour to make stiff dough. Knead in machine 2-5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl then turn to grease the top. Cover and let rise 45 min to 1 hour. Punch down and divide in half-then divide into 20 pieces for small bread sticks or 10-12 pieces for large bread sticks.

Combine 1 beaten egg with 1 T milk. Brush on breadstick then sprinkle with sesame seeds or dip in butter and roll in parmesan cheese with garlic herb seasoning. Then let rise and bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes until slightly brown. Remove and cool on wire rack.

4 comments:

Sharp family said...

These have always been one of my favorites!!!

Melanie said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for this one. I have tried several breadstick recipes from all recipes.com and I haven't liked them. Thank you!!!

bella said...

I think this calls for too much water. Can you check your original recipe?

Emily S said...

Looks really yummy, but yes,there is way too much water. Unfortunately, I read the comments too late and wasn't even thinking . . . would love to try a revised edition!