Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Can you believe I am actually posting? Melanie showed me how to do it today. This is one of my families favorite recipes that I do over and over. It does take some time, but we think it is worth it.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup onion, chopped 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/2 cup flour 1 recipe biscuit dough
5 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease ( 2 ) 9" pie plates
2. In a large skillet (I use my big soup pan) melt butter and saute onion and celery.
3. Add flour and mix well
4. Slowly stir in chicken broth and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
5. Add salt, pepper, chicken and vegetables.
6. Pour into prepared pie plate. Cut biscuits 1/2" thick and place 6 on top of the chicken mixture for each pan.
7. Bake uncovered 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
8. Cool slightly before serving.

BISCUITS

INGREDIENTS
2 eggs, well beaten 3 cups flour
2 cup sour cream 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup shortening 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg with a fork. Mix in sour cream, sugar, and shortening.
2. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to egg mixture. Mix well. Dough will be sticky.
3. Sprinkle a little flour over dough and scoop onto a well-floured board.
4. Cut biscuits 1/2" thick.

1 comment:

Arlene Heiner said...

I'm shocked but exicted you posted. The Chicken Pot Pie looks so good I can almost smell it. Dad woud like it so I'm am going to cook it soon.