Friday, September 26, 2008

MaryAnn's homemade pita bread


We had to have pitas for our lamb burgers, and so I said, "Sure! I'll make those!" Well, my first attempt was a failure, but luckily these make up pretty fast and I had time to try again. The second time was a charm. The only problem is that now that I've made homemade, I don't know if I can do the store-bought ones ever again. MaryAnn's are softer and simply delicious! For the burgers, we just sliced them all the way through, but they would make terrific pocket sandwiches, which the kids love.

1 T yeast
1 T sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 ¼ cup warm water
3 ½ cups flour

Mix yeast and sugar. Add salt and warm water. Add flour one cup at a time beating well after each addition. Mix to make a soft dough. Divide dough into 8 balls. Roll out to ¼ inch think, about 6 inches in diameter. Sprinkle cornmeal on a cookie sheet to allow bread to puff freely and not stick to pans. Place 2 or 3 pitas toa pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 500 degrees for 5-6 minutes or until golden. Remove immediately from pans and cover with a towel.

3 comments:

Arlene Heiner said...

These look so great. We are going to try them.

Jess said...

oh i want to try them!

Rachel said...

Don't get discouraged if they don't work the first time, my friend Anna and I failed in our first attempt.